Thursday, December 11, 2008

Golden Globe Reactions

In the last few years, I've seen how predictable the Golden Globes can be. This year, it is going to be very tough to choose who will come out shining. The only film I see that's going to pick up an award is WALL-E for Best Animated Film. WALL-E might win Best Song for "Down to Earth" written by Thomas Newman and Peter Gabriel.
What made my head spin was the nominees for Best Supporting Actor. Surprise, surprise! Heath Ledger got nominated for The Dark Knight, but that didn't make my head spin. Seeing Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. being nominated for Tropic Thunder made me laugh out loud. Both are great actors, and someone like Downey being nominated for playing a dude, whose playing a dude disguised as another dude is worth the recognition, but not for an award. It also ticked me off that James Franco was nominated for "Pineapple Express" and was snubbed for a Best Supporting nomination for Milk.
Plus, where the hell was Josh Brolin!? He should have been nominated for Best Supporting Actor for Milk. It would've been fun to see the neck-to-neck tension between Brolin and Ledger, but it seems like the Hollywood Foreign Press disregarded a few choice performances and placed in cannon fodder, with the exception of Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt.
What will be very interesting to see is who will pick up a Best Director award. Sam Mendes is nominated for Revolutionary Road, which is a film I have yet to see. After reading the novel, I wept. So, I would like to see if Mendes' look at suburbia will make me cry as hard as the book, or as hard as American Beauty. David Fincher, another great auteur already making some nose with Benjamin Button, will be up for an award. Despite the list of great directors up for the gold, I was disappointed not to see Gus Van Sant or Mike Leigh's name under the Best Director list.
As for Best Actor, I am crossing my fingers to the point of getting arthritis for Sean Penn. Maybe, he might pull it off due to the rave reviews and the public outcry over Prop 8. But, I heard Mickey Rourke is making a comeback with The Wrestler. Two bad-ass actors, one Golden Globe. Who will leave the Thunderdome alive?
Well, I better go clean out my wallet and make my own decisions about who should be grabbing the Globes.

No comments: